View Single Post
Old 2013-03-23, 14:09   Link #3898
akron88

So, I watched the TV series when it came out, didn't really have any impact on me (so no, no shipping), and then watched yesterday the movies (not having known any spoilers or so since I wasn't really involved in any forums about it).

It's a funny thing, really. When I saw the TV series, I thought the execution of the triangle was idealistically for naught, at a forgettable pace and absence of believable consequences; the ending was, to say the least, disappointing. It was "happy" but didn't resolve the triangle (and I never really bought the built-up existence of that triangle at the end, when Sheryl had already slept with Alto and so on). So I disliked it, to be honest. A lot.

The movies, I enjoyed a lot more. The "ride" was, well, obviously shorter than 25 episodes but I felt it was better done, to the point, and not leaving anything important outside (of what you expect would be the timeframe of 2 movies), so in my mind they fulfilled the purpose of them movies really standing up on their own. Hell, I was actually interested in the whole plot, not just the relationships!

The ending was, yes, bittersweet. But better, much better than TV series for me; however I'd agree with some opinions on this thread regarding what I'd consider lazyness on part of the creator. On the one hand, I'd say I too was wishing for a more "in your face" conclusion and not so much a "glimmer of hope/who knows/maybe/could-be?" conclusion, but then, I guess the creator trying to appease some enraged crowd
Spoiler:

I'm sorry but that for me is like a cardinal sin. You don't do an ending, flawed as it may be (or missing things), then talk about the "real" ending. The medium (in this case, the movie) should always stand on its own; if what he said there was what obviously happened then ****, put in in the movie! either you go for the (in my opinion, overused and overrated) "it's for you/audience to figure out yourself/ves" or actually do an adequate "things answered" ending. But this... argh

By reading a bit around here, I've gotten to know the peculiar meaning of the word "canon" in this Macross universe (of which I haven't seen anything outside Frontier); I wouldn't go and say this Kawamori guy is a "troll" in regards to things like which medium has the priority and the (IMO) lazy -and not well thought- endings; I'd say he's actually like almost anyone else, not a perfect story-maker with flaws in conscise points (if I'm to believe what I've read on his other works, they tend to have similar points of discussion and debate).

All in all however, the movies were a much, much better product than what I remember TV series were, and though flawed (as I've pointed here) I'd still say they were a nice entertainment effort! As per Macross universe distinct set of "canon" rules I'll take these as the real story!

Let me know your thoughts! (even though I'm a bit late to this party )