Thread: Kurogane
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-30, 23:48   Link #62
KLGChaos
The Shermain

My issues with it is that I'm just tired of the cliche. Obviously, the lead needs challenges to overcome, but Kurogane has enough problems with lower level guys that throwing him up against the strongest guy, while in the process giving his unique trait to that guy just undermines Kurogane. He's goof to get curb-stomped, and probably will for 90% of the manga, until he finally overcomes the guy. I don't look forward to that. I prefer my rivals to be more on par with the character so you don't know what will happen.

I predict he'll get owned in the practice fight, but some BS stuff about him showing fighting spirit will catch people's attention and the big dude will keep an eye on him as a sudden rival. Then we'll get to go through many painful training arcs to see him lose again (crying manly tears about wanting to win again, I'm sure). It's all very cliche and predictable. Even the bad guy seems to be your predictable "I'm so OP, I don't even take my sport seriously" type. It's right up there with the OP villain who doesn't really lose, but let's the hero win trope. I'm just bored with it. But, that's probably why it's doing pretty well in the rankings. Most WSJ readers just want more of the same generic stuff, which is why manga like St&rs, which try something different, are so low.

And I'm half-expecting Sayuri to dump Kurogane for this new guy. It seems like something she'd do.

But, we'll see where it goes. I like the characters and maybe the author will surprise us.