View Single Post
Old 2012-07-13, 09:17   Link #1141
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
I think it's a matter of perspective. I understand where you're coming from, but I don't agree; it's as you said, the Aincrad arc is difficult to beat in terms of 'grand scale story telling', but does it really have to be beaten by the other arcs for them to be more enjoyable? Continuity is an enjoyable aspect on it's own. And of course, it depends on what the reader considers 'grand scale story telling' to encompass.

And even if they've been through much worse, it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll get through their next obstacles and dilemmas scot-free, as those obstacles and dilemmas could very well be their breaking point(s).
Don't get me wrong, I immensely enjoy the other story arcs. In fact, I'm actually glad that post-Aincrad stories didn't try to be Aincrad 2.0, and that the stories have been diverse in its atmosphere and character development.

I mean... ultimately, this is a story about a few teenagers being immersed in an MMORPG and discovering themselves, reconciliation, friendship and even love. ( a lot of one-sided ones ) I don't read for SAO to be cynical and for teh grimdark, even if the author can be damn good at making them.

I just feel that there's always something that Aincrad that makes people go back to the original SAO setting, and unfortunately, draw comparisons between the story arcs in their focus characters and how the story played out.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote