View Single Post
Old 2012-07-13, 09:23   Link #1142
novalysis

I think the more frustrating part of the Aincrad arc is the fact that it is intrinsically fragmentary. To be honest, I did feel that, comparing Aria to 74th floor, Aria's writing felt more crisper, even superior- let alone the Carthatic fest of Red Nose Reindeer, where Kirito feels very, very real, and the "death game" setting of SAO is explored to it's full horror. Honestly speaking, I'd say that comparing Aincrad with Post-Aincrad misses the point. Both deal with the ongoing story of the two main characters, but bear differing themes.

It's frustrating to read and smile at Aria, and it's incomplete sequels, Rondo and Monochrome, to wonder what led to the events of the Black Cats, to only seeing only a tantalizing fragment of the nadir of Kirito at the end of Red Nose Reindeer. And realizing that if you saw the full story in a Shounen Length manga, you'd probably be at chapter 100 at least by the end of Red Nose Reindeer. And then to realize that you've only read highlights of those 100 chapters. And Volume 1, while a strong story on it's own is like reading the entire Climatic Arc, while realizing there's so much development hinted, but never covered beyond the briefest of snapshots in the Side Stories.

One could argue that each of the arcs are unique in it's own way. Aincrad is that great arc whose story hasn't been completely fully told. ALO is the conclusion and final resolution of the Aincrad arc, while opening the door to the Post-Aincrad problems. GGO is unfinished Business, yet has the smell of an entirely different genre from what we feel from SAO, hence arguing that Aincrad is more epic misses the point, since GGO is more equivalent to a new phase in life, if anything else, with a still compelling set of issues.

I've not worked my way through Mother's Rosario, but I heard it's an emotional ride that puts Red Nose Reindeer to shame, and that was, in my view, the height of the focus of the grand tragedy that was SAO's first arc.

Alicization seems to bring back the Life and Death factor - indeed, one could argue that there's something grand about Alicization in itself. Yes, the sufferings and experiences shared by 10 000 souls adds a granduer to Aincrad, and the rest of the arcs seemed down to Earth, but the delightful thing about the later volumes is the "what happens next" aspect to the whole thing.

The fascinating thing about SAO is that it seems far more is devoted to What Happens Next, then to What Happens in Aincard, and yet, some of the most powerful moments happen after Aincrad, like the epic denouement of ALO or the ending of GGO (which was amazing in the raw emotions pouring through that page, that's the only way I can describe it).

That doesn't downplay what happens in that floating Castle, of course. But it speaks volumes of the ability of the author, even after the most epic part of his tale. Each arc possess merits of it's own- indeed, I found the opening scene of GGO unforgettable, and I'd say it'll impress quite alot of people once GGO starts animating.

And even after Alicization, there's quite alot of directions this can go to. Intrigue has always been an underlying element in SAO, even more so in the later arcs, and one wonders about the trials Kirito and Asuna will enter in, if take on challenges greater in scope then mere survival, though not necessarily in danger.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote