View Single Post
Old 2008-02-03, 10:08   Link #41
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
What misspelling ? There are no misspellings there, and the "problem" of romanization is ours, not their. How a title might sound in English if someone were to romanize it is not exactly the prime concern of a Japanese writer, wouldn't you agree ? Just because it doesn't sound like you would want it to in your language, doesn't mean it is misspelled. It even has both titles as "official" ones as both are "correct" (Notice that if you Replace the "r"s in Erementar Gerad you end up with Elemental Gelad), so i don't see what is there to complain about, and since it refers directly to something within the context of the show, it is not something devoid of meaning either.
I would think that if I was to use another freaking language in my writing, that I would at least take the time to make sure I spelled words properly. All that it shows is laziness on the part of the writer, his editors and his publishers. It's the same to say that if I was to use French in part of my writing that it should not matter if I use feminine or masculine tenses because it's my writing. I'm sorry, but languages don't work that way. All any of those people had to do was pick up ANY dictionary (hell, look it up online) and see that "erementar" is not a real word.

Please find me any English dictionary that has the word "erementar" in it and I'll rescind my argument, because I can find plenty that have the word "elemental". This isn't the case of them inventing words (which they also like to do, and which I have a bit more tolerance for). This is them not having an understanding of a language and not taking any time to use it properly.

I am not an advocate of changing a language (no matter how bad it is, and English is certainly a bad one structurally) simply because people who wish to use it can't be bothered to learn all the nuances of the language, while most native speakers don't have issues. The English language is such that you cannot just substitute Rs for Ls and vice versa and still get the same word. If the Japanese people want to play the substitution game, use their own language, and don't go mucking around with other ones.

The problem with romanization is theirs, not ours. They have yet to realize that R and L are two distinct sounds and letters and are not at all interchangeable.