View Single Post
Old 2012-03-25, 14:14   Link #199
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

If I were to view this as a stand alone episode, I'd say that it was a pretty good finale. Certainly, from a technical point of view this was everything that I had come to expect from the show. The music was top notch, with Gai's and Mana's final scene as well as the epilogue being wonderfully composed, the animation was among the best I had seen from the show as well (even if it did bug me that apparently the animators had removed any sort of restrains they had about the bouncing breasts but that's not really important at this point so I'll let it slide).

If I were to ignore how we got to this point, even the story was technically fine, if not brilliant. Gai's end was rather touching, I thought, even if his new motives don't gel with his behavior in the past 21 episodes. Inori's sacrifice was sad, if I had actually grown attached to her, I would've have probably cried that she passed away. The epilogue was nice, seeing everyone meeting again on Hare's birthday, even if I felt like that the show conveniently decided to focus on Shu's core group ignoring the fate of secondary characters that we had so much screen time devoted to them.

But you know, that's fine. Really, at this point I think we reached the point where all that could be said about Guilty Crown had been said numerous times over this past half-year. I had shared my concerns about the show before it's airing, and hoped it would turn out to be better than I originally expected (a dumb but fun show, is what I wrote if I recall correctly), but for what's it's worth, Guilty Crown at least got it right on it's finale episode.

7/10

As a side note, I wonder if the folks who say this should've been longer are being serious or not ...