View Single Post
Old 2012-12-03, 05:50   Link #2003
Esebian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsin View Post
Alright, now that I've calmed down a bit I'll make an admission: Suguha's story is fine enough. When untangled from the Saving Asuna plot thread, it stands on its own. However, I'm still not a fan of the thread's existence due to how poorly its executed.

I'm sorry, but I have to bring up GGO semi-spoilers again because it's the best example I can come up with. Just can the whole post if you'd rather not read them.

Spoiler for Begin:

TL: DR
I like the beginning and end of ALO, but absolutely despise how the middle of the story was executed.
Well I totally have to agree with you that in ALO both story strings have no connection at all, which leads to the problem that they are changeable and not very original. However if you would cut the storyline from Sugu, you would have nothing to fill in the gap between the beginning and the end of ALO, as you would have to fill it up with reasonable content to keep the readers entertained.

Nobody reads a book for its ending (unless it is the end of a big book series) as otherwise you could simply start at the beginning and then move forward to the end

The problem with the reasonable contant is what to use? Unlike SAO you can't put in normal daily MMO practices like leveling or searching for new weapons, because in SAO even that could mean your death, while in ALO that could just end in your respawn. So the whole tension of the plot is away.

There are also no bossmonsters in ALO (at least until the end of the arc), no restriction to where u can go before solving several quests and so on. So your last string would be to put something in that doesn't have anything to do with the VRMMO world and well the easiest story would be a lovestory .

I have to agree that that wasn't a very good choice but he has at least learned from his mistakes.
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote