View Single Post
Old 2012-10-10, 15:49   Link #16
Random32
Also a Lolicon

The Japanese anime otaku population is pretty much to credit/blame for the majority of decisions made about late night anime. They pretty much fund the entire industry by themselves, and thus wield a large amount of power over what gets made and what doesn't.

As for holding them responsible for the lack of Cowboy Bebop/Trigun/etc anime or for the pervasiveness of "otaku themes," that's wrong. The responsibility lies on the people complaining to open up their wallets and make sure they anime that they want to watch have enough funding to be produced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
2. Because the anime fandom has a tendency to think of themselves as a generally unified fandom that watches loads and loads of all sorts of anime (and I see little evidence that the Japanese anime fandom is different in this regard). This is where Don's Star Trek, Spiderman, and Beverly Hills comparison doesn't really work, imo. No Trekkie would expect other Trekkies to be a Beverly Hills watcher just because he's a Trekkie. But anime fans do tend to expect one another to have seen all the most prominent anime.
I think there are at least two major subgroups of anime "otaku," Mecha and Moe. There is definitely overlap, but I'm pretty sure the people who buy Gundam aren't the same as the people who buy K-On.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote