View Single Post
Old 2012-10-22, 03:43   Link #11
ImperialX
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
(there is no fucking way that you can decode 720p 10-bit video in realtime on a 1.3ghz dualcore armv7 and still have enough cycles left to render animated subtitles on top of it. it's not even remotely plausible.)
The problem is, it does work perfectly. I use my iPhone 5 to watch almost 2 hours of anime every day on the bus to Uni and back, and I've never encountered any issues.

As a side note, the iPhone 5 actually uses a ARMv7s SoC. It's a bit different from the standard ARMv7 architecture, and has VFPv4 support. Just felt like adding that in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
I get rather close with my Samsung Galaxy SIII with MX Player, but do get the slightly laggy video; just laggy enough for me to get bothered by it.

It's a shame too, because the Galaxy's screen looks so vastly superior to my factory-made Sony VAIO's screen that it was starting to make me consider putting a few anime series on it to just carry around (not my usual thing, watching stuff on the go without my lappy). Looks like it works nicely, but you haven't touched the files in any way? My friend tried this on his iPhone 5 and it had held off even worse than my Galaxy did.

And yes, he did try different codecs and players to no avail.
Yeah, MX Player is as good as it gets on Android devices. I have tested the SGS3 and I've found that with some 10-bit files it can do it fine, but others have color defects at times, as well as framerate drops. S/W is OK but if you try H/W it just dies completely. The system isn't optimized for it.

I didn't touch the files in any way. There's not much point for me to lie here...of course, did he try HD Player Pro? That is the app I used in all of my videos. I see no reason why it shouldn't work. I can't stress the importance of choosing the right player. Most players in the App Store are rubbish.