View Single Post
Old 2004-05-01, 20:13   Link #54
neilworms

Quote:
I'd recommend www.megatokyo.com
It's really funny. I think pretty man know of that manga thought, but not everyone..
Megatokyo????! everybody in the world knows about that manga, and in my opinion its not very good .

Stuff I'd recommend

Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix: I'm shocked not so many people know about this work. This is Tezuka (pretty much the founder of modern manga) at his best dealing with very sophsitcated issues surrounding the human race. The manga spans 1000s of years covering many different time periods. Amazing layouts (one story is even told from the perspective of 5 people at the same time), great storytelling and its all very addictive. Comedy drama action this manga has everything and not only does it have everything it does everything with a smart execution. This manga is liscensed from viz and is currently on volume 3 (with the 4th volume coming out in about a week).

Monokuro Kinderbook: A series of short stories from alternative japanese cartoonist Kan Takahama. Very slice of life drama oriented, but the stories are not without their surprises or interesting qualities. The artwork is fantastic and very expressive, which is reflective of the french/japanese movement this work is part of (the french being known for very high quality art, Japan being known for diverstiy and sophistcated storytelling) Its also liscensed and being published by the very small and obscure publisher Ponent Mon which doesn't sell on amazon.com but you could probably find them at Mars Import (I'm working on a longer review of this which I will post a link to).

I also really liked Hurkano Manichi E (sic) from Manga-sketchbook which was cartooned by Jiro Taniguchi, but the only problem is the translation is very rough on this one... so I haven't finished it yet.

Also recommended if you want really weird stuff check out the short manga that the Comics Journal has been publishing in their magazine lately. Surreal shorts like Screw Style from Yoshiharu Tsuge and morbidly and oddly amusing works from horror manga-ka hideshi hino (in the recient special)

I'll also add my recommendation for mangascreener's stuff... they rock