View Single Post
Old 2011-10-23, 01:21   Link #25264
Kealym

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalAura View Post
Why should that be a point of concern if it's not supported by the narrative, Renall? The situation of no corpses being found on the island is consistent with the whole family changing their names and running off to Fiji with the gold, but nobody criticizes the narrative for leaving that possibility open because it isn't backed up by any evidence.
My god, I thought nobody criticized this because it's everybody's far preferred ending. Yes, it would've been kind of bullshitty, but I would be entirely fine if the very last thing we see / read, after all the credits, was the vague implication that the family had said "fuck it, we're rich", and we're in fact in Hawaii drinking Mai Tai's under new names.

Ahem.
Anyways, can't we all just agree that battler was incompetent in not asking for a clarification regarding the number of living bodies on Rokkenjima? This one of those moments where you can sort of tell the author made a character somewhat less sharp than they should have been, especially since Battler indulges in so many other weird permutations to account for the number of people. Hell, even though she doesn't do it until the Logic Error of Dawn, even Erika asked about it, eventually, when there was a person she couldn't account for. She asked somewhat poorly, but at least she asked. :-/
Kealym is offline   Reply With Quote