View Single Post
Old 2007-01-25, 23:26   Link #84
kiramuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Not really. The setting and first part of Seed are definitely based on Mobile Suit Gundam, but most of the other similarities are just cosmetic. Destiny, in particular, isn't really similar to any other Gundam show. The only element of note that it takes from other shows is the Four-Stellar progression.
I do agree that a lot of it is purely cosmetic or even meant as a homage to UC. However I also think that the plot structures of CE seem to be at least partially based the UC series with Fukuda modifying most of the specifics. By plot structures I don't mean the coming of age for a teenage pilot or the fighting between factions in space plots. Those form the backbone of nearly all gundam series. As you've already mentioned the similarity between MSG and Seed is uncanny. It's very hard to deny that Fukuda based Seed on MSG but now I will also say that the ending in GSD is based on the ending in Victory. Why? Well the similarity in this case is the main method of the antagonist. In MSG/Zeta/ZZ/Seed the bad guys were pretty much traditional fascists. They practiced the usual good stuff: hey lets gas a few million people to death, hey how about we vaporize a few cities along with all of its civilians populations, etc. However in GSD and Victory the dictators are in fact even more sinister in the sense they both want to create "peace" by enslaving an entire population through mind control i.e. reducing human's instinct to struggle. In Victory it's done directly through a psycommu machine and in GSD it's done indirectly by giving everyone a deterministic future.
kiramuro is offline   Reply With Quote