View Single Post
Old 2012-10-13, 10:25   Link #1204
Rocksmash
Trapped within boundaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
You know, it just occurred to me that the western world has something similar already, albeit in comic form.

Calvin and Hobbes.

Can't believe it took me this long to draw a connection.

Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Bur Rikka isn't actually bound to her delusions. For example she is aware that her "evil eye" is just a contact lens, and in lite 02 she removes the bandage from her arm because it would be a bother during swimming lessons, completely forgetting that it was supposed to seal a harbinger of darkness.

She also can drop her fantasies if she's pushed enough, for example when Yuuta in Ep01 coerce her into telling where did she hear about the "dark flame master".

She is just a chuunibyou that takes her fantasies to an extreme, but she didn't break the barrier between normality and psychosis... yet...

Okay this might sound a bit harsh to Calvin, but I don't think he ever saw Hobbes for what he actually is not even for a brief moment. Also the reasons are completely different, Calvin is a typical case of a kid with an imaginary friend, while the "chuunibyou" is a phenomenon related to adolescents with delusions of grandeur.
The former is generally a way to fight solitude, the latter is a way to escape a boring reality where everyone is just a cog in a giant machine with no individuality.

Now that I mention it, Haruhi Suzumiya could be as well be considered a chuunibyou.
Hmmmm... If there's one thing I feel is similar between Rikka and Calvin is their reactions towards certain authority figures.

Rikka vs Administration Bureau's strongest priestess (Tooka)
Stupendous Man vs Babysitter Girl (Rosalyn), Crab Teacher (Miss Wormwood)
Rocksmash is offline   Reply With Quote