View Single Post
Old 2011-08-01, 20:51   Link #121
VDZ

Exactly. Just like I posted at the Remember11 thread once I finished 999:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
999 has been released in English now, and we can see what Uchikoshi is like when he's working alone. People seem to like it, with the average vndb rating being 8.80. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. I still rated the game an 8/10 because it definitely amused me, but I can't say it's a masterpiece.

Someone in this thread was complaining about a lack of consistency in R11, but I never felt such problems in R11. In 999 though...there's just too much that doesn't make sense. I won't list all of my problems with the story here, just check this thread for some of them.

But worse than the fact that there's some minor plotholes...is the total lack of originality in 999. You can describe over half of 999 by just describing it as 'Ever17 meets Killer Queen. Now, I haven't played much of Killer Queen (so there'll only be early game spoilers), so there might be more stolen elements, but I'll list what I've found here:
Killer Queen
Spoiler:

Naturally, the Ever17 section contains major spoilers.
Ever17
Spoiler:

Taking this into account, if I had to judge which of the two is the better writer...Remember11 may not have been what you all wanted it to be, but at least it didn't consist for 50% of "I've seen this before" situations.

The only thing that actually pleasantly surprised me in 999's ending was
Spoiler:

I don't mind getting an ending that isn't what I expected it to be. In fact, I'd much rather have that than an ending that is EXACTLY what I expected it to be.

Uchikoshi was playing it safe in 999. I suppose there were enough people who liked it...but no, I think that a writer should always try new things, even if it means running the risk of severely disappointing/angering the fanbase.
Also, from what I heard, the doujin version is better than the remake...but I haven't played either, so I can't judge it myself.
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote