View Single Post
Old 2011-08-03, 23:38   Link #23564
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
The game thing was really the best part of Umineko. The thing is he didn't follow through on it like a total puss.
Yeah, of course it was the best part, but he was trying too damn hard to make everybody enjoy it. Like you said, he whimped out on creating a more difficult approach in order not to loose any readers in the process.

I also didn't actually understand his idea of "I only hear complaining and no voices from mystery fans...therefore there doesn't seem to be any group of readers knowledgable about mystery archetypes, so I need to treat my readers like toddlers in that department"...
Yes, I get it, many people were and still are bitchy about certain parts of Umineko and it's not like the locked room lecture or the cat box parable weren't fun the way they were explained in the plot...but I think if the reader doesn't get there, it shouldn't be the authors duty to spoonfeed it to him.

I still think the metaworld and it's characters would have been much more compact and streamlined if he had stayed with his Virgilius idea...
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote