View Single Post
Old 2011-09-21, 10:39   Link #610
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Saw the movie last night, and overall I was pretty pleased. I remember adamantly not liking Asakura's or Kunikida's voices, but I don't think the voice actors changed for the movie, so I guess that doesn't really count. I like both Kyon's and Haruhi's Japanese voices better than the English ones; both seem more assertive and confident in what they're saying. Both feel more expressive. I just can't take Crispin's Kyon seriously whenever he raises his voice, because it sounds forced and hammy. Dub Yuki sounded more like I'd expect her to, at the expense of her "new" (English) personality sometimes not matching up with her facial expressions. Any time she does that cringing blush thing, it bugs the heck out of me (though I'm pretty sure it did in the original, too). And of course, it's still a disappointing shock to hear her go from expressive to monotone at the end of the film.

As far as changes go, I thought the ones that I noticed were well-deserved. Haruhi saying "I swore I'd never touch alcohol" comes across better than "I'd never drink it again" or whatever she said before (that referenced something that happened in the novels but not the anime). Koizumi's new lines concerning Kyon and Haruhi are more implicit and less "yeah this is pretty much how she feels about you and that's a fact," and I liked that. Finally, at the end, there were two things that caught my attention. Yuki saying, "transmitting" instead of "I will tell them" implied that she was doing it right then - something I didn't catch in the original. I didn't like the change from "You tell them that's bullshit!" to "You tell them to go to hell!" It lost a lot of the bite that the original exclamation had. Oh, and of course the "Yuki means snow" bit was probably the best they could've done with that. Unfortunately, it makes it so that the ambiguity is only there for a second, instead of permanently. Oh well.

Overall, it wasn't a bad dub, but it felt somehow artificial. I never quite got over the feeling that these were people speaking for characters, rather than the characters themselves talking. However, that's just my take, so don't anyone let it dissuade you from checking the movie out.