View Single Post
Old 2012-06-18, 22:46   Link #149
Vena
Carpe Diem

Found a post by an anon, that I thought was pretty good in capturing the problem with some of the themes or morales in/of this story. No credit to me but no one to give credit to as they are all anons. I'm pretty sure this is all from one anon.

Quote:
I think this is what they were trying to do but somewhere fucked it up by introducing Zessica, bare with me:
>Amata, on their fated meeting, falls in love but gets to know Mikono little by little. He represents love that is now and cares about Mikono as a person.
>Kagura, on their fated meeting, falls in love but almost never gets to interact with Mikono. He represents love that is the past and doesn't care who Mikono is as a person.
>Mikono, because of the split in Amata/Kagura, feels almost immediate strong attraction to Kagura because of the past, but no immediate affinity towards Amata (for some unexplained reason).
>Mikono falls in love with Amata on her own because (same unexplained reason) she has no super connection to him from past lives. Same idea as with Amata about the now.
This is great on its own. But then!
>Zessica, with no fated meetings or instantaneous attractions, falls in love with Amata for who he is over a few episodes.
>Loses because fated meeting and Amata instantly falling in love with Mikono at first sight.

If they had just cut out Zessica and kept the M/F/M dynamic, the end result would have been pretty damn good if my above assumption is correct. So why did they include Zessica? Her presence diminishes the overall messages because the girl without the FATE and LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT advantage losses. Leaving you with,
>Fate shouldn't be the only reason that people love one another.
>But don't get in its fucking way.

Its one thing to troll the audience but to introduce a character that demolishes what could have been a somewhat compelling narrative point? I just don't get it.
Quote:
There is the possibility that I am wrong on my assumption about Mikono. I'm making the assumption on what I think the show is trying to tell me but with how slow this part is, I have no definite answers (25 episodes later) because Mikono's a hard nut to crack. We're never given much clear info from her point of view and the best we were ever given was in 19. From 19, I assume that she means to confess and that she would represent the "now" alongside Amata.
>Mikono, because of the split in Amata/Kagura, feels almost immediate strong attraction to Kagura because of the past, but no immediate affinity towards Amata (for some unexplained reason).
Can be built on in a few different ways but I think its best served to match Amata's development since they are the main characters and central couple. This is why I said,
>Mikono falls in love with Amata on her own because (same unexplained reason) she has no super connection to him from past lives.
But including Zessica as a character and strong foil to Mikono, gives a weird end result,
>Zessica is fighting fate as a total outsider, loves Amata for Amata, but cannot win because she doesn’t get a fated encounter and Amata fell in love with Mikono instantly.
>Mikono is resisting half of her fate (Kagura) and her strong reactions to Kagura, loves Amata for Amata, and wins because Amata was in her fate and he fell in love at first sight.
I can’t find a clear message which there would have been if you simply omit Zessica from the story.

So why? Kagura, Amata, and Zessica are clear cut at this point, leaving Mikono as the wild card.