View Single Post
Old 2012-09-27, 11:21   Link #178
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
To go back on Hyouka, this conversation remind me about the first instant Hyouka caught my attention (aside of KyoAni doing it, admittedly). It was Yonezawa-san comments to the anime and the fan here. I couldn't pin it down at the time, but now I think what caught my attention was he didn't say the usual "I'm glad to see them moving" but "When Oreki and the others, who only existed on paper, finally take shape and begin to move, I wonder how the feel of their tale will change." It showed that he and the staff really focus on adapting rather than just animating the story.

I think the "animating" part is mechanical. Anyone with enough money can make high quality animations. The art of an anime lies on how to "adapt" the source material (if there is one). What can be kept or discarded. Which scene can be enhanced by the pictures and which scene has to be modified because it doesn't fit the anime format, and so on. I think Yonezawa-san comment was on the spot. The moment his work became an anime, it has already changed. What needs to be done is taking advantage of that. While I have not read the novel on this one, I think this last episode is a good example. The pink hue, the gust of wind, the music, and the falling sakura really enhanced that last scene.

(See, I finally get back on the topic )
I totally agree with this point--I've read a chunk of the novels translated into english, and while there are a few places where I prefer it to the anime, the anime truly does take advantage of the visual medium to evoke emotions in a way that's awfully hard to do in print--especially when translated from Japanese to English. I haven't read the novel equivalent of ep. 22, but it's very much my impression that the visuals you cite are things distinctive to the anime adaptation.