Thread: Licensed Gunslinger Girl
View Single Post
Old 2003-12-22, 01:24   Link #59
abubo

Post Episode 8 - Angelica

Alright I've just finished episode 8 and wanted to contribute to this thread some more.

First thing: Jose is seriously concern about Henrietta, where as you can tell the rest of the goons seemed to treat the gilrs like toys. He's ploting something, you can just tell from his eyes. his guilt is eating at him everday, something's gotta give soon.

Now Finally we've learned all about Angelica. She appeared to be the FIRST "Gitai" cyborg... that's surprising since I thought for certain Triela was first (she maybe just the oldest). Maybe due to the problem with earlier conditioning medicine, she does not retain certain long term memories. So it seemed that althought she's sweet and kind, she but a shell of a girl, her soul almost spent. She's just as sweet and nice as Henrietta, but due to Jose's protection, Henrietta retained more of herself than Angelica. I don't believe she has much of herself left, and anything she would do to further her humanity she will soon forget, just like how she forgot all about her "possibilities".

Marco, her handler, seemed to be a normal joe at first, but I think, interestingly, has chosen a typical psychological escape to deal with himself: he has chosen to distant himself emotionally from Angelica. I think he was more like Jose to begin with, that he wanted to help this sad little girl all he can and help her adjust to her new life. But as he "train" her more and see her emerge more as this mindless killing machine, I believe that in his mind, the more "Pasta Prince" story he tell her, the more he can tell himself that he's actually helping her, not destroying her. However, when the result of the conditioning begin to affect Angelica's memory, he realized that all he did and build with Angelica was for naught; his efforts didn't mean a damn thing for her psychologically. All he did was act like a dog trainer, telling her how to kill.

Since his self-rationalization was based on his pasta story, the fact that she didn't remember it destroyed his self-delusion, and then he has to pick the next-best line of reasoning: treating her like a tool, just like our beloved Mr. Jan. Distanting himself emotionally utterly from her in order to do his job. Will he save her? not a chance. He's more like Jan to me than anyone else. His intention to start maybe fine, but at the end he's just a selfish bastard like the rest of them.

Angelica, it seemed, is more "Rico" than Rico herself. Her story will end in sadness, it seemed.