View Single Post
Old 2013-07-13, 00:20   Link #1
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

On Character/Plot Development Fueled by Character Deaths [Series Specific Spoiler]

I'm not a fan of character deaths, especially those which seem to happen just to push the plot forward or to throw away a character after it has done its role (i.e. to die). Battle Royale and Survival Suspense themes are also not my cup of tea for the same reasons.

Some of the series that are on the rage recently are Shingeki no Kyojin, Danganronpa and Terra Formars, and Gantz belongs to those who have a decent following too. All of these series had a very high amount of character deaths, with Titans, Terra Formars and Gantz pushing the gore to 11 and Danganronpa featuring students dying in horrific ways. (Oh, I almost forgot the "pie scenes" in Another. Such strawberry-filled goodness.) There's also Akame ga Kill, which is also another Battle Royale series.

What makes this series get the attention they have right now? Is this the beginning of the production of series which had the grit of 80s OVA series? And can a story fueled by the blood of its characters really be that interesting?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote