View Single Post
Old 2012-08-15, 11:05   Link #116
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Yui's resolve and change from EP02

From this point, Yui has rised a mental shield.
I dont actually have a problem with the changes we see in Yui as you quote from the end of ep 2 and leading into ep 3-5. I think this was one thing they did well.

To expand upon my "distinct lack of continuity" comment: from what I understand, eps 1-2 are anime original, to help start the anime with a bang and to introduce anime-only viewers to the franchise. I think they did a good job with that... then failed to carry it through properly in following episodes, when they could instead of referred to or followed-up on events from eps 1-2 to help improve the character development, plot and overall atmosphere of the series. Eps 1-2 are Yui centric and after that much focus you should expect most viewers to be keenly interested in Yui - but in eps 3-5 there's very little (maybe 2 minutes in total) from her point of view. We're not even given her official job/role in Alaska! I'm not saying that the episodes should be from Yui's point of view overall, just that there's a disconnect between the story arcs that doesn't seem to serve any purpose and ends up being annoying. It's as if the writers didn't properly account for the change in perceptions caused by adding eps 1-2 to the series. There are some marginal references but they're at the level of a band-aid, as I said previously.

Quote:
From EP03 08:39, seems to be normal Yui when interacting with Inia.
I agree. The purposes of this scene seem to be: to show that Yui is a recent arrival who isn't used to the place yet and to show her in a more normal situation compared to her scene with Yuuya at the end of the episode. And also to give some hints on Inia.

Quote:
From EP03 18:23, Yui shown to be slightly impress with Yuuya's move(1) by exploiting Tarisa 's excess momentum. There's a slight upwards movement with Yui's eyes and eyebrows after Yuuya's move(1).
Hmm. Back when ep 3 had just aired most of us interpreted that reaction from Yui to be negative (for flying too high) and part of the reason why she was quite abrupt with Yuuya at the end of the episode. I just re-watched the scene in question and I guess in light of later episodes your interpretation is the correct one. Thanks, that helps me feel a little bit better.