Thread: Similar to SAO?
View Single Post
Old 2013-10-22, 07:52   Link #1
Cattelli
Canadian Anime Guru

Question Similar to SAO?

Hey there!

I've recently fallen on dark times.. I've run out of series that I had planned to watch similar to SAO! *GASP* I know it's terrible but that's why I've turned to you, Animesuki Forum members, for help. Now without further ado here is my request to you!

First off I will provide a list of series' I have watched similar to SAO along with explanations as to why I loved them or hated them!

Sword Art Online
Loved the art style, subtle romance and the dramatic feel of the whole series. I enjoyed the whole "Trapped in a cyber world" concept quite a bit and I believe that's what drew me to it.

.hack//sign
Loved the music in particular when it comes to this series, it helped set the plot in place for me. A lot of the same reasons I loved SAO was because I had watched this beforehand.

Accel World
Wasn't all too fond of this series in all honesty, the only reason I watched it was because I heard it was set in the same universe as SAO

Summer Wars
Just recently watched this movie. I liked it but probably only because of it's romance and suspense

Btooom!
Loved the darker theme to this series, reminded me of the movie "Condemned" which I also loved. Enjoyed the subtle romance as I could kind of relate ^^;

Deadman Wonderland
Once again, loved the darker theme to this series. I liked that it took risks and followed through with them in a similar way that Elfen Lied did

Chrome Shelled Regios
I enjoyed the post apocalyptic feeling this series threw off. I know a few people might say that it isn't really similar in contrast to SAO but when I think of SAO this series pops into my head for some reason

Zero no Tsukaima
I enjoyed the medieval feeling in this one as much as I did in SAO, the romance was a little different but none the less Romance still holds the #1 slot on my favorite genres

Attack on Titan
I am currently watching this series, it reminded me a lot of SAO in the fact that it picked up a lot of hype even though it doesn't have that many episodes lol

Guilty Crown
To be perfectly honest, I can't remember much of this series but whenever I ask friends they recommend this series saying it's similar to SAO. As I do not make a habit of rewatching shows that didn't really catch my attention I have no intention of rewatching this

Mirai Nikki TV
This series hurt my brain by the end of it but none the less I loved the darker sides that this series had to offer.

Fate/Stay Night
Loved the historical tie ins, the romance was brilliant however I disliked the ending. I feel they could have made it a little less dramatic.

Alrighty! With that beast of a list out of the way and all the explanations in check I feel the need to now point out what exactly I'm looking for! For starters I'd prefer anything dealing with people either being trapped in a virtual world or at least a large portion of the show takes place in an online world. Romance is a must, I'm a mushy, soft hearted guy deep down so that's why. I'd like a little bit of action involved to keep my attention glued to the screen (preferably dealing with the typical underdog story) and "paranormal" or "Sci-fi" elements are always welcome.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses!

Youtube Channel: Click Here
Cattelli is offline   Reply With Quote