View Single Post
Old 2009-06-17, 10:54   Link #944
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

1/ I don't see why criminals should talk their way out of guilt. All they have to do is hire a good lawyer.
And, the most cunning ones, the ones we're most desperate to catch, can find plenty of ways to erase evidence, therefore, evade trial.
Our law systems are crumbling. Criminals go free because they can make bail; killers are let loose because of ethnicity; justice can go to hell if it doesn’t fit the political view. Basic rights and wrongs are warped because people want to keep their noses out of other’s business: no one wants responsibility anymore. The basic conformity of laws has been discarded in battles over money and publicity. Slowly, we are becoming uncivilized (Ex. People flock to Youtube to watch a hanging) lol

It is possible to argue that Light's opponents are acting in the interest of hurting innocent people by preventing Light from executing those who may escape the lenient legal system. Even though their position follows society's justice more diligently, Light's system of justice is morally superior to the one enforced currently. His system enforces a "presumption of guilt" policy in society whose legal system prefers "presumption of innocence".

2/ In the end, the police never reveal Kira's arrest to the public for fear of an ensuing riot. Now this is something to think about: If they believe their idea of justice is right, then why do they fear they won't win the support? This leads to my 3rd point:

3/ Light was in no position to announce his idea to the public because the police, or those who never saw it work, would capture him immediately.
DN would've ended at volume 2
But wasn't it true that half the world just followed him naturally, slowly? If the majority of people decided to join forces with Kira, his actions would then be considered a majority, therefore "legal".
However, in this, we also see L’s childlike, Kira-like, flaw: He wanted to kill Kira. Catch him and put him to death. L decided alone first, then gained support slowly. There was no general consensus, it was L’s wish to catch Kira and kill him. But in this, wasn’t L just condoning Kira’s murders? This is why Near decided that he would lock Kira up if he ever caught him.

4/ Hell, if such a thing as DN existed, I would simply kill all the world leaders one after another until they surrender their powers to me. Then I would rule the world and make humanity my slaves. Or I could use it to get rich really fast. Who cares about fairness and making the world a better place? I mean, why should those of us who have commited not a single crime pay taxes for those who are likely to commit crimes again?
Light's idea seems naive now, but so did other things we as a species have overcome, like going to the moon or abolishing slavery. The fact that he thought of this with good intentions stemming from an understanding of others' pain is utterly benevolent.

Last edited by Tenken's Smile; 2009-08-08 at 22:19.