View Single Post
Old 2010-01-23, 08:16   Link #396
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
The quote you mangled was in response to this same sort of argument being applied to Endless Eight, and subscribed to the same idea held by critics of those series: that each episode should be able to entertain in-and-of itself. The analogy is apt.
Nope. Comparing entire series to an isolated gimmick arc does not an apt analogy make. Even more, there was nothing in those shows that even came close to E8. If they happen to have had something closely comparable, feel free to inform and correct me.

And, how do you measure replay value?
  • Can't get everything during first pass = high replay value?
  • So many epic scenes = high replay value?
  • Jokes that never get old = high replay value?
  • etc...
IMO, Haruhi's replay value is somewhat like your FPS/RTS campaign. On the second pass, you try to pick out the easter eggs, or you pick a new watching order/strategy (2006 airing).

I agree that E8 has zero replay value for most, but for some people who did enjoy it, looking back at specific scenes and comparing minor differences gives it a little bit of replay value. You can't compare this to fillers, or whatever else, simply because there was never anything like this in the first place. This isn't your average "repetitive filler arc" after all.

And I don't think they had this "The fans will like it, no matter what it is" mentality. It's closer to "The fans will buy it, no matter what it is". E8 was not made to be liked. But for completion/collection purposes, people will buy it anyway.