View Single Post
Old 2012-02-23, 16:05   Link #3
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
I'm not too sure if a website that has fansubbing as one of its main features is the best place to post a video encouraging people to go legal.
Um... what would be the point in posting such a video up on a site where everyone is already going legal?

Sure, posting this video on a site like Anime Suki may stir up a bit of a backlash, but that's the sort of risk you have to take if you want to try to persuade fans to do more to support the anime industry. I can respect it, even if I don't necessarily agree with it. I can certainly see where the guy talking in the video is coming from, even if I don't agree with him 100%.

Now, putting aside fansubs vs. legal streams and all that, I found the video interesting in what it's saying about the current Anglosphere marketplace (that's probably the best way to put it) for anime.

Yeah, that probably is dying. I'm inclined to agree with him there. You don't get this many companies of note dropping out of a niche entertainment industry unless its pointing to real problems in that industry.

OTOH, I'm not so sure that the domestic Japanese industry needs the foreign support as much as the guy in the video is arguing. In Japan itself, DVD/Blu-Rays sales seem to be consistently up across the board over the last 12 to 16 months. Anime may well be bouncing back there, although I certainly admit I don't know for sure.

Where I found the most relevance in that video was in what it said about anime shows like Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Trigun, Baccano!, etc...

Yeah, these sorts of anime shows really aren't being made any more, at least as far as I can tell. So if these are the sorts of anime shows that people would like to see more of, well, they're not going to be saved by the Japanese fandom. Just saying...