View Single Post
Old 2007-07-19, 20:40   Link #6316
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post
I never noticed that scene! Is it from 1st or 2nd season?

=========

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormturmoil View Post
Actually...it goes back to the origins of tea, and interestingly, the English adoption of it (In case you're wondering, I'm English, that's how I know this)

Basically, Tea had been drunk in the orient for hundreds of years. In the west, Brewing was used , and ale was drunk instead.

In both cases, it was because it wasn't safe to drink the water. Both these methods made it safe ( by either introducing alcohol to kill germs, or by boiling the water) This is why Orientals often have a lower tolerance for alcohol than westerners: Westerners have built up a hereditary resistance over the years.

Then the English discovered tea. However, they had a problem: English porcelain of the time could not take the stress of having boiling water introduced to it directly, and would shatter. As a result, when pouring tea, the English had to put cold water in the cup first to keep the temperature down. soon, someone replaced this cold water with milk, it caught on, and that's how milk in tea evolved.

meanwhile, oriental tea drinkers, as well as certain snobs, continued to frown on milk in tea simply because they didn't have to do it, and adopted it as a sign of superiority that survives to this day, (even though most people don't know the origin of it.)

As a result, Most orientals will frown on adding milk to tea because it marks you as being 'not a person' (literal translation of their word for foreigner).

Even today, tea purists will frown at putting ANYTHING in tea besides hot water.

Lindy, therefore is being typecast as an outsider because of her tea drinking preferences, which don't jibe with the standards that Nanoha, as a Japanese, would consider normal; (Drinking tea 'wrongly' is tantamount to being a crime in most oriental countries)

I didn't know drinking milk tea is an offense for some
USB500 is offline   Reply With Quote