Thread: Windows 8
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-14, 13:23   Link #497
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Let's be honest - how many of us here, regardless of operating system, use applications in non-maximized view?
Everything I stick on a second monitor is always in non-maximized window (the only things I maximize I think are things like debug windows, since there's a lot of information; otherwise smallest possible is always best). Generally there's also a lot of application splitting, where I open another instance of the same application multiple times so as to create some order. Things on the main monitor are generally WinKey+1,2,3 and mostly not minimized because they have an extensive window system of their own, and yet I still have consoles (WinKey+1) in window mode since it's far far easier to switch between the 3-5 of them by clicking between windows and remembering their position in space (main ones on main monitor, ancillary ones on secondary monitor, background ones minimized, etc), rather then by going to the icon on the taskbar, selecting the damn thing, then pondering which is which.

The only people for whom your argument holds true are the ones for who the complexity of using their phone and their computer is virtually the same (with the only difference that desktops open "bigger" apps). I'm not going to argue the people who might as well be sitting on their toilet while using the computer aren't some kind of "majority," but this whole argument of systems designed for real work needing to be dumbed down to the lowest idiot-index is absolute nonsense.