Thread: Licensed Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-19, 04:04   Link #2834
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

I came to this show directly after watching the original. The original was pretty darn good but also fairly flawed and inconsistent. It definitely had a huge heart though which what really made me like it (and go through all its emo angst though). This sequel though is very different in many ways.

Eureka Seven Ao is very different though. If anything, Ao was really solid. The way its plot is written is very structured even with its twists and turns (and those twists were darn huge). The characters are, surprisingly (since many people had gripes about them), well-developed even if they do pale in comparison to the characters of the original.

E7Ao felt very different from its predecessor and I actually kinda like it. Sequels don't always have to connect the original especially with Eureka Seven which was a self-contained story in the beginning. While E7Ao felt very different, it also used its old characters, namely Eureka and Renton, but in very interesting ways.

If there's something I felt unsatisfied with this series though, or at least where the original shined more, it's the lack of couples falling in the sky. E7Ao never really reached the emotional highs of the original (though I don't think many stories can ever reach it too). But for what this series is, which is a solidly told mecha series that is somewhat a sequel, it's pretty darn great.