Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2006-09-20, 17:24   Link #1820
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
I know what you mean since I am a fan of actions and shows with a vigorously unfolding storyline including a clear culmination, rather than psychic dramas.
But maybe we shouldn't expect such things from Simoun.
Maybe? More like obviously, if you ask me. It seems rather obvious to me that the characters emotions and development have a lot higher priority than revealing all the mysteries or setting up a hige cimactic struggle in the end. If Simoun was concentrating on the action we would have probably had Chor Tempest pulling off Kira Yamato and co, kicking the crap out of the elite enemy forces, forcing the Highlands and the Archipelago to sign a new peace treaty. The gender choice ceremony would have probably not been shown, only a few still frames with the results of it. Of course, it's not impossible that Aaeru and Neviril will achieve some heroic feats in the last episode but I doubt this will have much to do with fighting.

Quote:
It is presenting a war, but the story is not really about it.
It is about girls' growth and emotions in the setting of a war.
Quoted for truth.

Basically, plotwise Simoun is not that great. There are inconsistencies and there is really a lot to be explained. But since emotionwise (is that a word?) it pushes all the right buttons with me, I cannot really bring myself to criticise plot details. If there is a great emotional closure in the end, I really wouldn't care much if a lot of things remain shrouded in mystery and there is no big change in the Simoun world in the end. Something like Haibane Renmei's type of ending would be good enough. And if it includes the sort of spoiler mentioned by wowo - all the better.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote