View Single Post
Old 2010-08-25, 14:28   Link #215
Heiwatsuki

Quote:
From Morbus
So here's my general opinion about the series. In a nutshell:

Animation Quality: 8/10
I liked that it was there when it needed to be, properly fleshed out animations and that. There isn't really much else to say, other than that I don't really care too much for this technical side. Still, the drawings were good and didn't take away anything from the show.

Voice Actors: 10/10
The absolute best cast I've ever seen. Granted I'm not an expert, of course, Toradora!'s cast even tops Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei's. Ryuuji was there, Taiga's was outstanding (her seyuu's best performance IMHO), Kuchieda's was great and so were the others. I can honestly say the voice acting in Toradora! was definitely the best part of all the series for me.

Script: 4/10
And this is a borderline 3/10. On the plus side there are some interesting dialogs and good character development, but the script is just generally convoluted when it needn't to be, the characters loose consistency in relation to what the first half of the series makes us expect from them, and the ending (not the epilogue) is subpar IMHO. It's obvious that the series tries to create emotion on the viewer, time and again, and it fails to do so consistently. I'm not saying it doesn't do it for anyone, I'm saying it doesn't do it in a definitive manner. Christmas Night is an example of that, with the real highlight being one of the less worked on parts.

Soundtrack: 7/10
Can't say I found it outstanding, but it did a very good job for what it was supposed to do.

Editing: 8/10
I felt some parts were missing, but nothing that damaged the series in any relevant way.

Enjoyment: 8/10
It's a very enjoyable series thanks to excellent voice acting, good animations and steady character development, which can make up for the unfortunate script and sore ending that leaves us aching for more.

Emotional Involvement: 6/10
This is a very subjective matter, so I give a 6/10 because I was very emotionally involved at the beginning of the series and at episode 18 I lost absolutely all emotional interest. I'm not a native English speaker, but I watch the English subbing, and I clearly recall saying to myself "damn! I lost all interest!" And I'm not one for theatrical monologues. The reason...

Kushieda Minori.

She's the reason. I empathized with Ryuuji because he liked her, and that kept me going through the first two thirds of the show. I cannot explain it, but I just can't help but absolutely fall in love with some genki female characters. I have no clue why, honestly, and even though at first I was like "eh, Kirino [from Bamboo Blade] is better :3", Minorin just went and captivated me. What Ami said of her, she being the Sun and all, that's absolutely spot on, and for me, she was the Sun of the series. Taiga was just an annoyance that came with a superb voice actress. And then they went and faded the sun, and made something else out of Taiga. That really spoiled it for me...
im really sure you already know this, but right now im not feeling good reading your rating... im an otaku and an otaku who loved toradora and then seeing that uber fail rating(just my feelings, you are right on some aspects and i do respect your opinions), you know, it just kinda makes me want to kill someone LOL. anyway the only reason why im saying that im going to say next is because i somehow feel as if i should say something, anything at all, that somewhat goes against your rating, cause im a guy who cant help but express his emotions after seeing something... so yeah. instead of going on a cussing frenzy ill just say this. a good drama is determined by whether the anime can arouse feelings of happiness or sadness. it depends on whether it infuences you, that makes it good. a really dramatic part(in ones opinion) can seem boring or whatver in another persons opinion. Experience,sensitivity, and personality are all factors in whether you feel something while watching a anime. Personally i dont think script or storyling matters much, considering angel beats was amazingly good in my opinion. the storyline of that anime was horrible of course, but it was a amazing anime in my opinion. And to me the Storyline is very good, and like you said before, its in your own opinion whether something is bad or not but like i said i somehow feel the need to say something to get over my feeling of hate, so bare with me lol, when you said the later half of the story isnt what you expected because of how they portayed everything from the first half. We all expect different things based on our perspectives. And when you say that the makers are trying to constantly trying to get on your emotions, they can always be trying to add something to make the story a more.. school like theme or whatever. They might had a different purpose . But of course its all down to opinions. everything i said are my opinions, and you got opinions too. my rating on the series would be 10/10 everything. And im not much of a guy for theatrical monologue either. but i have to completly go against your comment on emotional evolvement until episode 18. its from episode 16 where it got real emotional for me. My Feelings are saying: your heartless, (dont listen to my feelings lol)
anyway.. im done talking, ive calmed down. blah blah blah. i respect your opinions, but seriously i really get annoyed when someone seriously seems so heartless on their emotional rating. i got really pissed when some people said angel beats completely sucked. i was like WTF, dont go dramas if your that heartless. and once again, im just saying something to ease my anger.. but yah. TORADORA FTW. Great voicing,stroyline,emotional moments,and ect.
my opinions on toradora alone: at first i was a minorin supporter, but soon whilet he story progressed and when i saw minorins dark side, i just got plain scared when minorin started cussing at taiga to herself. in my opinion she should stop acting, that cheerful outside shell she wears doesnt fit her true feelings... i stopped being a minorin x Ryuji supporter when taiga started crying after ryuji left to confess to minorin, i really felt somewhat guilty lol. well im glad it was with taiga, amii and ryuji wouldive looked like an amazing couple, but in my opinion she doesnt deserve him. ryuji is too good for amii.