View Single Post
Old 2012-06-20, 19:59   Link #238
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
There were a lot of western influences in that Kotomine vs Kiritsugu fight, which is fairly unusual as the only anime, that I know of, with combat done in a similar Hollywood style, is Cowboy Bebop. The fight opens with a traditional Spaghetti Western standoff with the two combatants standing a few meters apart from each, Kiritsugu’s hand above his holster as the camera glares behind the legs of both participants, before the scene erupts into violence. I’m actually curious as to whether that was a more general reference to Western cinema or whether it was a reference to The Matrix, which is the only other movie or television show, that I know of, set during the Modern Era, with such a scene.

As much as I’ve heard people criticize the “knife scene”, I was getting major déjà vu with Neo’s first and final fight against Smith, in which one combatant attacks while the other passively parries it with a collection of side-arms. I think that this chorography and the chorography for the fight in general, were done extremely well.
Spoiler for Space:

Everyone already knows about "The Batcave".
The Matrix was basically a live action anime done right. So... yeah. There were a lot of similarities to other movies throughout this series. I wonder if it's accidental or not. Sometimes that happens.