Thread: Anime Elitists?
View Single Post
Old 2003-11-16, 19:23   Link #14
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I have no problem with editted anime on TV in most cases, as long as an uneditted version is available for me to watch. The only time it really bothered me was when they showed a few editted episodes of Evangelion at 4:00 on cartoon network. I was afraid that some little kid would like the series, and have his mother buy it on dvd. Then the mother would come into the room during one of the later episodes, be shocked at what was going on, and create a lot of controversy about that level of violence being in, what in her eyes is, a "kids show". Fortunatly that didn't happen, but if it had it could have been a serious setback for anime in the US. Yes I am aware of the age recommendations on the box, but how many parents actually follow them.
To get more on topic, yes there is an amount of arrogance in anime fans. Personally I like to introduce more people to new series they haven't heard of yet, but I know people who have shown a new series around, then got pissed that other people actually liked it. I'm guilty of being arrogant too, but in a different way. I get pissed at people who only watch DBZ, and people who associate anime with only pokemon, dbz, and Yugi-oh. I think we should all try to remember that to most people animation is just for kids, and anime is animation. Instead of getting mad we should either ignore such criticism or find an anime that the person would like if they actually watched it.