View Single Post
Old 2010-09-05, 15:16   Link #217
FoxxFireArt

Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
I think it's even deeper than that actually...
Ace is not being executed because he is a pirate, so much as he is being executed because he is the son of Gol D. Roger. Even if he had lead an innocent, civilian life he would have been killed for fear of what he might one day become... and Luffy, being the son fo Dragon would probably be in the same boat. In essence it was impossible for either of them to lead even a a civilian life (a life where Garp also would not have to fight them)

However, becoming marines is another story... By becoming powerful marines they can become great heroes to the world. And similar to how the WG can't really do anything to Garp(ordinary marines probably would have been hanged for hiding Ace and Luffy), the WG would not be able to so easily get rid of Ace and Luffy if they were Heroes... in essence, with enough time and great acts of heroism they might have even been able to reveal what their origins that came from; they would be living proof that the children of villains can transcend their blood

Essentially, becoming marines was the ONLY way to truly protect Ace and Luffy from the WG, and it comes with the possible added benefit that future generations may be able to escape persecution based on heritage.

Unfortunately, Ace and Luffy end up coming closer to proving the Marine's fears... I say "closer" because while they are pirates, they are not really villains... Though thinking about it, it is actually a bit strange Ace became a pirate when you consider how he felt about his father... you might say that his genes really were driving him to the freedom of the sea. I guess you could say he also had reason to hate the WG since they practically drove his mother to her death, but he never seems to express such feelings so it's hard to say if that's the case; Roger is the only man he seems to express animosity towards.
I realized that as well. I even wrote about it for a review I wrote for the episode 460 on Anime Vice. If they had become Marines. Who their parents are might have never mattered if the WG thought they had that power on their side.

It really gives you a deeper admiration for Garp.