View Single Post
Old 2012-06-02, 22:45   Link #56
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post

Her services are in demand, and you're right that the number of anime original writers is limited.
And that's why I think Okada deserves some credit for being of real help to the recent rise of anime originals. She has provided a high-demand service to the anime industry that is also very beneficial to the anime world from a fan perspective, which is something that I'm not sure if you've considered enough in our discussions in this thread.

You argued that for Little Busters! there was no delay "from the industry perspective", but even if you're right, there absolutely was a delay from a fan's perspective, as there's little doubt that a Little Busters! anime would have been done years ago if KyoAni was up for doing it at the time. And I'm speaking primarily from a fan's perspective, as I'm a fan myself. As a fan, I think that the anime industry is better off by having more anime original works in recent years, and also as a fan, I recognize the contributions that Okada has made to that.

And there's a key point I made that I think you're side-stepping a bit: Sometimes entertainment projects (including anime ones) get held up for a bit when the desired talent (be it a specific animation studio, or maybe a specific writer) is unavailable. Key probably had its heart set on KyoAni, until Key finally gave up on KyoAni and turned to JC Staff, which may have held up Little Busters! for years (from a fan's perspective). Now, who's to say that P.A. Works didn't have its heart set on Okada for handling HSI? Okada has done a lot of work for P.A. Works (just like KyoAni has done a lot of work for Key) and Okada has been involved in the majority of P.A. Works anime original works.

Also, nobody here really knows what would have happened with AnoHana, or Hanasaku Iroha, if Okada wasn't available to write them. You don't know that, I don't know that, and totoum doesn't know that. It's at least conceivable that one or both of these shows may have not been made, and could have even been substituted with an adaptation work, without Okada's involvement. And the anime world may have been worse for it, imo.

So I don't think it's wrong to recognize the valuable role that Okada has played in the recent rise of anime original works.