View Single Post
Old 2013-02-17, 14:38   Link #96
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPenguin View Post
Although I do like silly and over the top shows that Ichiro Okouchi does really well (Overman King Gainer and Code Geass) keep in mid that Kou Matsuo is directing this.One of the main focuses he always had in his series is well written dialogue and characters(Kurenai and Natsuyuki Rendezvous),something that silly over the top shows dont really require.Ichiro Okouchi also knows how to write some serious and mature stuff like Turn A Gundam.So no ,I am not expecting here Code Geass this I think will take itself pretty seriously.
I certainly agree with your larger point, though I'd have to say some of the character dynamics in those other shows were still well-written and fairly interesting in spite of their silly elements, but it is particularly worth remembering that even Turn A wasn't always serious. You had the robot helping out with various chores and picking up cows at one point, as well as couple of other funny situations where Loran ended up crossdressing. Even the villains had some rather whimsical characteristics if you look at them closely. In this case, I think it's not unreasonable to keep an open mind.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I am not going to get into a debate about Code Geass and the writer's other series.

However, I think you are missing my point. I don't care about basic plot line. I don't care if the character has super powers or just drives a mecha. My issue with the writer has more to do with his themes, characterization, and tone of his story.
It's not that I'm missing the point, but that I don't really agree with it. What I'm saying is that we shouldn't automatically separate one thing from the other. The tone, themes and characterization aren't inherently unrelated to the structure of the plot and the other elements involved. Certain types of premises promote or favor the presence of certain ideas and situations, which can influence or lead to the aspects you've already discussed. I'm not asking you to agree with me, personally speaking, but I feel an alternative argument is still worth presenting here.

Quote:
Saying I shouldn't judge his work based on only a few things is silly. I am not saying he is not capable of better (in fact I am saying I hope this will be better) but what else should I judge his work on based on what I saw. I mean I judge other writers & directors even though I have not seen every work of theirs.
Once again, you're free to express such opinions. In fact, it's undeniably better to have at least a limited familiarity with the creators rather than none.

I just believe one will tend to have an even better idea about the full range and scope of a writer's or director's abilities, so to speak, by having more experience and taking additional information into consideration.

Quote:
For me his best work is an adaption.
It is. However, Planetes actually had a lot of anime original material, especially but not exclusively during the second half, which isn't strictly following the manga.

Last edited by Xander; 2013-02-17 at 14:57.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote