View Single Post
Old 2007-09-15, 20:22   Link #429
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramuro View Post
Now we come to the crux of the matter i.e. why I don't like Shinn at all. It's precisely because even after 2 years he is still stuck in his self-pitying grief about the death of his family. In essence Shinn represents one of those people who thinks that one's happiness should be measured in the amount of tragedy one has suffered in the past.

Of course all of this is just my personal opinions. Obviously you guys disagree with them but that is fine. I am just contending that even if Shinn had developed just like Kamille he still would've been an unlikable character for me just because my initial impression of him is one of gross aversion.
Well, I support you on that one. I hated Shinn as well, because he seemingly had very little character development, and he always seemed to be on the wrong end of things. Or perhaps, even if he was on the right end, the fact that Athrun or Kira disapproved of it made it feel like Shinn was still doing something wrong. It really made for a very strange series; the previous main characters were far too involved for the "new" main characters to really feel like main characters at all. Almost from the start, Shinn's defiant attitude towards Athrun and Cagalli made me wish he'd be punched. The viewer, having seen the previous characters' struggling and suffering, most likely wouldn't be tolerant of a new character disrespecting that.

The other big issue I had was with Shinn and Stellar. When she's stampeding in the Destroy, Shinn just wants people to stop attacking her. What happened to the idea that war shouldn't happen? The same situation that killed his family is occurring on a larger scale below him (entire city was destroyed), and yet he can't bring himself to attack her. As if it's not bad enough, when Kira (whom 99% of the viewers love, based off of GSeed) steps in to stop the carnage, Shinn suddenly gets vengeful. I think that was it for me with Shinn - he didn't even seem conflicted over much, just a closed-minded character on the wrong side who's getting too much animation time.

Wierd way to do a series, indeed.