Thread: Minami-ke
View Single Post
Old 2007-10-07, 17:03   Link #16
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Ichigo Marshmallow or Azumanga knockoff... take your pick, not that it's really a bad thing... but parts of it make it really REALLY obvious that it's trying hard to imitate Azumanga, complete with their title in a rolling ball for the girls to push around.

The actual content was pretty amusing, but the background music was just awful. Almost all of it was of the twangy guitar or elevator music variety. When there's actual energy going on with the show, but the music is putting me to sleep, it hurts my brain. There was also some really dysphoria (good word... dysphoria) going on with the art/animation above and beyond the usual "artists forget how to draw perspectives so she'll have giant cheekbones this scene." Some things (mostly the mouths) varied through about five different styles with very little rhyme or reason, but at the same time, whoever's handling the CG work for them is damn good. It's just very strange to see really nice effects in one scene, then five seconds later, glaring animation inconsistencies.

THAT ASIDE, it was a rather enjoyable episode. I imagine subtitle watchers who have to concentrate less on the sound will find the music less distractingly bizarre. The content is definitely strong, it's just too bad the music seems designed to make you ignore the joke delivery entirely.

Caps
http://blog.seiha.org/?p=391

OP
aroduc is offline   Reply With Quote