View Single Post
Old 2012-02-28, 11:28   Link #6
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
lol I was thinking for the past month or so about whether I should have made a thread for this series but couldn't decided if I should really bother cause this is such a odd series.
You and me both.

Just so any of you idiots out there understand, let me get this straight out: this author is a genius.

Don't believe me? Read a previous work of his. First, you'd think, hey, this is kinda authentic American. Then, you'd think it's one of them Great American Novels in manga form. Then you realize the author is Japanese, writing his own version of a folk legend, and you go, "goddamn, brother."

So he's one underrated mofo. But what about this manga?

This manga is just him letting loose. And it's epic. It's absurdist to the core, considerably more erotic than most hentai (to be fair, I wouldn't really know); certainly a much better grasp on the S&M mentality, which permeates everything that's going on, and it plays out that classic, eternal mechanic that, for men, perversion is war, perversion is heroism, sacrifice, glory. Perversion 4 life. The glory of a quest isn't about the scale of one's success, nobody cares if you save the world from the Dark Lord again and again if it's your day job. The glory is in the quest itself, the lengths you're willing to go, the sufferings, the struggle. The more absurd, the funnier.

But I bet half of you idiots dropped it in the first few chapters because the boys were "pathetic," not understanding the parody, the skill needed to create this sort of atmosphere successfully or the expressiveness, and sometimes the intentional roughness, ugliness, of the art (when it isn't pervertedly focusing on the Vice-Prez's assets endlessly anyway). But I understand, not everybody gets it, the passion, the true love of masochism.

lol
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote