View Single Post
Old 2009-07-24, 00:31   Link #2257
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralTigerclaw View Post
Your personal prefference has nothing to do with new technologies, and marketing niches.

If someone invents an intelligent cell phone-like device tomarrow, it will have a market, and it will be sold.
Since those seem to be in Mid as of Vivid, what's the complaint here?

Quote:
A lot of people create this hyper-tech for their story without thinking about the impact it would have on society.

Take the TSAB computers they're filing reports on. If it's easy enough to make devices that are sentient, can have conversations or even communicate telepathicly. Why not create a terminal that operates on the Telepathic link? What about Voice Command?

Would it be so much easier to THINK your report up than to spend four hours typing it up?
Don't know what other examples you have, but this one? Tk3997 first came up with this basic take, but here's my version:

What will most likely happen is that the output will be, if you are lucky, the length of an abstract, written in fragments so disjointed and incomplete you won't dare present them at 2chan, let alone as a proper report. You probably won't even recognize what you wrote yourself.

You might think you can dream up a report just in your head, but your brain doesn't work that way. It handles only a few fragments at a time, either general or specific. To a great extent a report is made up as you type.

A new decision comes every paragraph, with subdecisions for every sentence and even each word has its own cognitive processing. And then you go back and look at the paragraph and more processing follows. You won't be able to handle them while thinking of the whole essay in your mind, and when the mind-reading machine tries to process your thoughts into words, it has nothing to process. You just hadn't thought of the essay in enough detail.

If it can miraculously turn the excuses of essay concept fragments in your brain into a presentable essay, it is writing your essay for you. Not only will it place your own value in doubt, but common AIs in Mid aren't that advanced - they can't even automate most combat decision-making, and that in many ways is easy compared to writing an human essay.

The problem also occurs with speech - people are much more careless with their spoken speech than written report, even if the Voice Recognition is perfect. The act of being forced to type out every letter creates discipline in a mind. The fact is, for a reasonably proficient touch typist, they can almost certainly type faster than they can think up an essay or report in the required level of precision.

To take myself, I can type up to 70WPM or so in a typing test, which means 7-8 minutes to fill a 500 word page. I know my practical limit when writing an essay is in the region of 500 words PER HOUR, and that's if I don't have a brain block, don't have to look over references and I'm not counting over real read-back time, just a one-pass of the kind you'll do when the assignment is due tomorrow and you hadn't touched it...

Under such circumstances, the certainty of the keyboard arguably wins over VC or Thought. It can be presumed that they've tried out such ideas and learnt this.

This is one of the reasons I actually think MGLN has this part right - it is all too common just to write in tech for tech's sake itself, thinking only of potentials rather than a realistic appraisal. No gratuitous use of technology. Just use it where it is needed.