View Single Post
Old 2010-10-30, 08:26   Link #294
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Not for me...I still didn't like her very much at this point. From bitch (episode 1) to overly dramatic bitch (episode 2) to overly dramatic bitch who very nearly killed herself, Ranka, and Alto (this episode), I thought she kinda sucked. It wasn't until episode 5 that I warmed up to her.
I wonder how much of this type of early response is a reaction to the "prima donna" stereotype that we tend to associate with celebrities. For all her abrasiveness in episode one, for example, Sheryl still was absolutely correct in criticizing the use of student pilots in her show - after all, Alto ultimately ended up causing an accident that could potentially have killed Sheryl (or messed up the show, had she not used some very quick thinking). Likewise, in this episode, both the decision to stay and potentially asphyxiate in the shelter and the decision to leave and potentially asphyxiate in a vacuum are equally bad - the decision that Sheryl makes is simply the more proactive of the two. I think that this concept of 'grabbing destiny with your hands' ends up being an important part of both Alto and Ranka's growth throughout the series.

I think it comes down to differentiating between the stereotype that Sheryl could have ended up becoming (given her intro), and who she actually is.

Or maybe I'm just immune to getting offended by "ohohohoho" type characters. They always amuse me.
Swampstorm is offline   Reply With Quote