View Single Post
Old 2007-06-08, 15:43   Link #852
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeknay View Post
Zero,

The BBC HD stuff is MBAFF - got any PAFF streams you can test?

Also I'd be interested in knowing if it does AVC or VC1 m2ts, either native or after a remux to ts.
No PAFF, good Sir. Perhaps you or your buddies can contribute to the cause?

Also I transmuxed a 1080p H.264 from HD-DVD (not personally, but I had a 115MB ISO). Played fine for about 28 seconds but then started to stutter and lost audio. I didn't see any obvious reason, so I assumed it was bitrate.
Said encode is here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UIU60WEI

Don't pay attention to the audio bitrates, I simply encoded at -q 0.3 to give me a similar filesize to the AC3.

No luck with Bluray, the tools I have reported no startcode, so perhaps Bluray fucks it up, or I've just got a bad sample. However I wouldn't rule out Bluray fucking stuff up, just because Sony has some involvement with Bluray.

I'd really appreciate a load of different 720p samples/fansubs/AMVs/whatever right now. I have no complaints about SD encodes, it's great, but now it's time to move on and test systematically rather than trying random encodes and wondering why it does/doesn't play correctly. I have a suspicion that 720p support may be borderline. We know it plays SD, and partially plays 1080p. It can get away with 1080i H.264 (which I assume uses pretty relaxed encoding settings being for broadcast); but I want to see where it stands with 720p, since it's quite easy to reach level 5 just by using 16 reference frames on a 720p encode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
You might want to do some reading before you say something like that. XviD is MPEG4, so is DivX... Pretty much all fansubs are MPEG4 encodes, unless some lost lamb did it (not counting audio and container here).

If you mean iPod compatible I take that as Main Profile h264 encode at some a low level... And you think that the fansub community would bother with encoding to such specs? I doubt it.

/me refused himself to use Main Profile when asked to encode to spec *tongue out*
I think he probably means the MP4 container and it's awareness/support in general. Also I believe iPod is Baseline @ 1.3, but newer models may be more capable (but I expect them to still be Baseline).

And yeah, I won't cripple my encodes for Apple's half hearted decoder, if they want to become a player in the media market (pun not intended), they need to get their finger out and start with the High Profile support (in iTunes at the very least, and do something about AppleTV before it gives standalone players a bad name (with what it supports, it may as well not support H.264 at all).