View Single Post
Old 2007-08-13, 20:59   Link #2228
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Bandai-America has Suzumiya Haruhi series... and with the forceful product tie-in, it would be almost astounding if Bandai didn't also do Lucky*Star's english anime release.

If I were the owner of Bandai, I'd probably shoot anyone who screwed up those negotiations It should be interesting though watching the dance between Kadokawa, Bandai, and KyoAni.
Semantics, semantics, but... Kadokawa brought Haruhi to the U.S. themselves, and simply chose Bandai U.S.A. as a partner/contractor to do production/distribution work on their behalf. This is similar to how they chose Funimation to do the marketing/distribution for FMP:TSR, with ADV doing the dubbing, or how they got RightStuf to work on The Third. I'm sure there was some sort of negotiations involved, but it wasn't your typical license negotiation game. So, it actually doesn't matter much whether Bandai works on Lucky Star or not, and there isn't even any sort of guarantee that Bandai would work on the next season of Haruhi Suzumiya. In the end, it's Kadokawa themselves who'll benefit most from the tie-ins and so on (which is to say, just as it is in Japan). So, it's semantics, but relevent nonetheless. This is why it'd be fair to say that pretty much anything Kadokawa releases in Japan, including Lucky*Star, is "licensed" from the get-go (they have a company to represent their licenses in the U.S.), but we're simply waiting for a sort of "statement of intention to release".
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote