View Single Post
Old 2007-02-14, 05:01   Link #9
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
The title is the Italian term for din or clamour (as in loud noise) apparently. Perhaps an Italian member can correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm seeing this just now, hence the delayed reply. Anyway as for "Baccano", what you wrote is correct. I think that "din" is the most suiting translation, but a (very) Loud noise is correct too.

However, just a couple of related notes: while the term is indeed part of italian vocabulary, you really don't see that often that word in common language, a lot of synonims are used instead. Also, "baccano" tends to have a negative acception since it usually implies a complaint for the noise (otherwise one would likely use another term).
Lastly, a little shade: "baccano" not only indicates a loud noise, per se, but implies that it is generated by a certain group of peoples, as in "speaking at loud voice", but also as in working noisily. Seeing the given situation of this anime I can figure in example some works at a railroad (you know, with that continous noise of beating irons), whereas the association with "baccano" would be the most suiting one.

Back to the anime, my eyes were captured from the characters design, it's very peculiar, and somehow feels really adapt for the years the story takes place; the character mixture sounds intriguing too.