View Single Post
Old 2008-03-05, 10:11   Link #779
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar_notADV View Post
Please don't post the dialogue. You're gonna make me go check mine, and... well, I mean, I can talk about it, but I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to actually post the scripts, huh? ;p

There's been mention of nuclear reactions as an example of "whoa, these things have only a little power on their own but go off huge if you cook 'em just right". The metaphor is more apropos than you know. Think about the precise engineering necessary to design a proper implosion-core weapon; if everything isn't rigged just so, to a precision that's almost stupid, the hydrogen fusion fails to occur. You still get an explosion, but it's a peewee explosion, not the full Monty, as it were. (This happened to North Korea when it did its nuclear test, we presume from the pathetic yield detected.)
Actually, even that is not appropriate An atom actually has a lot of stored energy (E=mc^2), and a successful nuclear reaction only releases a tiny part of it.

Quote:
Ark's certainly correct in that world-destroying is a whole different kettle of fish from the sort of power the Jewel Seeds tend to leak randomly.
I think no one disagrees that the observations aren't helping them.

Quote:
(Keep in mind that such power is actually said to be what, less than 1/10,000th of the actual power of a Jewel Seed.)
The term used is nanmanbun no ichi, which ranges from 1/1E4 to 1/1E5. Don't say I don't believe in them. Take what they said literally (didn't they want me to do that), take the actual damage (all flash, just about no bite to the surrounding buildings), multiply by 100,000 for a whole Jewel seed, times that by 21 for all 21 jewel seeds. There, the amount of damage they can do, at least if they weren't BSing somewhere.

Quote:
Precia is trying to make them go critical, for the tremendous boom that follows; she needs the distortion to happen, because she's looking to use that as a path to Alhazard. Whatever - she's a bit nuts too... She's involved in a long process, not really with the number that she calculated would be necessary, not really with the reactor support she was counting on, not after Nanoha went and sealed it.
She has 9/21 Jewel Seeds, which, with the reactor, is enough to still reach criticality. So, logically, she has a little less than half of everything. Thus, we can extrapolate the correct power for 21 seeds using what she did.

Quote:
Not enough material, not enough energy, not enough time, and then you have Lindy (an accomplished mage in her own right, though if we're going to go all Ark-like, we never actually see her use her own magic other than this; so how strong is she?) actually in there attempting to stop it from happening.
Nobody knows, though supposedly Distortion Shield is S-ranked according to NanohaWiki so...

Quote:
Keroko, well... a nuclear carrier has a big load of nuclear material, so why can't it blow up with a multi-megaton explosion? Mostly 'cause that's not what it's made for, huh? ;p
But he'll then ask why can't it draw a similar amount of power.