Thread: Licensed Elfen Lied
View Single Post
Old 2004-12-17, 19:18   Link #1094
Chronissz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
the problem is, how Lucy manages to live without killing any one of those soldiers? also Nana is already a perfect proof that Diclonius can live without hurting anyone. And I'm not sure how do they atone for it? Or what do you mean by "atone for it"? Should they submit to human laws and let themselves get locked up for years in prison to atone for their crimes? I'm not really sure how to atone for the crime of killing innocent people...

For Nyuu/Lucy personality, at least in terms of manga, it's explained that the cause is the unique brain structure of Diclonius, not some personality created to escape reality.
Ok I shouldnt say attone for it, thats impossible, she shouldnt be looking for salvation or serenity within. The only solution I see here is for Lucy to keep on living, to provide love to others around her, and try to make the world a better place, even if only for one person, and that does not necessarily mean Kouta.

My take on it is that Lucy dieing does not solve anything, its a cruel ending that contradicts the theme of the show. If she were to die that would only spread more sadness in the world. I think she MUST live on, in a world where she is loved by the people around her, but at the same time she must never forget what she has done. Her only hope is to open herself up to others, and provide as much love and kindness as she can, not to show remorse for what she has done, but to help the world grow in any way she can. This is the only thing she can do for the victims of her insanity.

I have not read the manga, though I do intend to, but this is my opinion after finishing the anime just yesterday. I still think I need some time for this show to "sink in", its a very powerfull show that grows on me the more I think about it. I want to examine the show from a psychological standpoint though, I watched the show with that in mind from the beginning, and I will not accept a simple explanation like that. The Diclonius show to much human condition to simply write it off as a difference in brain structure.

Last edited by Chronissz; 2004-12-17 at 19:54.
Chronissz is offline   Reply With Quote