Thread: Licensed Tiger & Bunny (Sunrise)
View Single Post
Old 2011-09-17, 23:12   Link #1665
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
False. Very false.
There's a reason I used the "and/or", and not just "and". I haven't tracked every BL or BL-esque anime that's ever been released for sale, so I wanted to play it safe with the "and/or". But I'll take your word for it that a BL anime has never been released on Blu-Ray (that being said, Tiger and Bunny isn't a BL either, so...)

I find this notion that DVD-to-Blu Ray makes all the difference in winning over fujoshis to be pretty presumptuous based on the arguments I've seen presented so far. On what rationale do you or Westlo or Myssa Rei believe DVD-to-Blu Ray makes such a massive difference?

Anime sold perfectly well on DVD before the recent massive shift to Blu-Ray. What makes fujoshis different here than other anime fans?

Quote:

Is it so hard to accept that fujoshis do have a hand in getting the sales up?
Of course not. There's a world of difference between "The success of Tiger and Bunny in Japan is nearly solely due to Fujoshi's" and "fujoshis do have a hand in getting the sales up".

I'm not disputing the latter at all, merely the former. I would in fact say that Fujoshis likely did contribute a significant amount to Tiger and Bunny's sales... but not so much that Sunrise should be scared to death of putting one of its male leads with a female romantic partner.

Quote:

Oh and comparing this to any other Sunrise cash cow is weird:
No, I don't think it is.

Due to Sunrise switching over to an OVA format for Gundam properties, I think there's been a lot of untapped mecha marketplace out there, much of that market being Sunrise fans.

Tiger and Bunny is not exactly mecha, but it's pretty close at least (in the same way that Nanoha is pretty close), and given the relative scarcity of big mecha TV series titles in recent years, that may well be enough to bring in the traditional Sunrise/mecha fanbase.

I mean, that "Luck Mode" move that Tiger and Bunny pull off together is rather mecha-esque, imo.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-09-17 at 23:36.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote