View Single Post
Old 2008-03-18, 01:51   Link #1006
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
Funny you mention Seed, i was watching it on satellites, (one of the few series that is broadcast in the UK Anime channel, besides kid cartoon channels)

Watched all the way to the end, and i can't for the life of me remember a single memorable music score, even from some of the scenes i can remember (i.e. the fight between kira and what-is-best-friend-name, robot bird flying in space etc etc)

Dunno what ears you have, but they certainly not the same as mine, as i can confidently say i was very underwhelmed by the soundtracks.
You seem to harbor some sort of an open grudge with the Gundam shows so I really can't take that as too genuine.. Also, dubbed versions tends to lower the music in most cases as well. Not to forget the inclusion of the OP/ED really adds to the whole thing. You say you haven't heard of one memorable track, I can remember at least a dozen or so from the top of my head. It makes me want to whip out the OST again.

Quote:
as for "Ai Oboete Imasuka", after all these years, i can still bring up the memories of her singing on that transparent bridge, the explosions lighting her up, and the valkyries flashing and dying around her, as the song reach the chorus one on the many break though the stunned zentradi's, blows a hole in the mothership, the valkyrie flowing on the song itself, before reaching the big-head, pull out the bazooka and nails the bugger! god.
Too bad they rarely used that song at all. I thought all the different versions of Shao Pai Lon was great personally. Chinese pop.

Quote:
Cowboy Bebop was a good OST too, i think yoko kanno did great on that too, and i watched that on the same channel as Gundam Seed was on, so maybe that's why i never noticed it's OST? drowned out by a superior one.
Respectfully disagreed. I think Bebop tends to get way too much credit even though it did have a very solid soundtrack. I mean, people keep finding ways to bury the Seed/Seed Destiny shows but they did have some pretty solid production at times. And I just don't see any evidence otherwise to suggest the OSTs aren't anything besides extraordinary.

Also, I think Toshihiko Sahashi isn't credited enough because he worked mostly with a lot of otherwise unimpressive manga ports and smaller works. Even shows like Gunslinger Girls was a relatively minor show compared to other shows in its time. A yet another great Toshihiko OST in that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
The absolute truth. Toshihiko SEED score is pretty breath taking. You have your perfect epic battle themes, along with some emotional tracks that really make you feel for Kira and what is happening to him as a character. One of my favorite scores, for sure.
Seed Destiny also had a bevy of great ones as well. The guy just KNOWS how to do military-sounding tracks that is both upbeat and ends up sounding just fresh. If he did Macross Frontier, I would've cheered on top of my seat.

Quote:
Funny enough, Kanno's Turn A Gundam score is not only my favorite work by her, it's pretty much my favorite score of all time. Just like the series, and how much it means to me.

Anyway that's enough off-topic i believe. I'm very much looking forward to hearing more of Kanno's work for Frontier. I don't think it's going to be the type of score that'll reach such a high place like her Macross Plus work, though i'd love to be proven wrong. Can't wait.
I don't think the bar is raised that highly. Macross Plus did have a lot of great songs but I don't think it really had the military-sounding background themes that would have to be prevalent in a full series. There's way more for Kanno to work with, as she did with Turn-A.

Last edited by SuperKnuckles; 2008-03-18 at 02:11.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote