View Single Post
Old 2011-05-21, 12:37   Link #118
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I had thought the same things - might also explain why Menma looked a little "shellshocked" when he said it.

Of course, this could be my conveniently interpreting things to suite my theory....
Admittedly, she immediately started chasing after him when he left. So, if she did gather the friends together to say she was abused, then Jintan's words should have driven her away, not make her seek him out further (not only running after him, but essentially coming back from the dead for him as well). So it seems unlikely that emotional abuse was going on...(physical abuse is another matter, but since physical abuse is often accompanied by emotional abuse (not vice versa), I expect Menma would have reacted far more negatively to Jintan's words if she was actually being abused).

That being said, I also wouldn't mind a little more drama to her death (though, still having the bad memories of Fractale which had the same time slot just 7 weeks ago, I am reluctant to go the abuse/possible rape/suicide route). I expect it would be more acceptable for all of us to have a ghost appear due to a more tragic event (she seems to have simply fallen in to a lake and died; tragic sure, but not exactly worth coming back from the dead over), rather than a ghost seemingly randomly appearing to help it's friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
One thing though, if such dark secrets could be hidden in that diary, why keep it, and furthermore why giving it out to "strangers" ?
To act briefly as a devil's advocate, the father boxed up the room, so it is possible that the mother simply did not know if anything traumatic was in the diary. Additionally, since the mother was the one who gave them the diary (sorry to knit-pick, but the scene should have been shown), it can still be said that the father would not want the diary to be shown to anyone...admittedly, if he was responsible, while clearing out the room, he should have simply burned any evidence...

Last edited by james0246; 2011-05-21 at 12:49.