View Single Post
Old 2012-02-26, 15:55   Link #294
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
The plot is the characters talking, I don't know if it can be put simpler.
This is exactly the big picture and problem with this episode: the talking itself is basically moot and serve nothing in the "heroine issue" or her characterization nor actual interaction with Koyomi.

*snip*

Claiming it is all about character talk in this very episode is dubious at best: the circumstances and visuals were the very first striking part of this episode, and frankly, revolving 20 minutes over 1 single game for simply having "Karen meeting Suruga" is beyond something I really expect to be "a clever directing choice" for a series that has only 11 episodes.

*good stuff but snipped for brevity*

There is a drastic difference here, period.
I think you misunderstood me.

It's not about the characters talking. (to advance the plot)
It's about the characters talking. (to advance the relationships)

Araragi and Hitagi talking way back in episode 2 of Bakemonogatari, had nothing to to with advancing the 'plot' of her being cured of the weight crab. It was there to advance the relationship between the two.

Araragi and Hitagi talking all through the snail arc had very little to do with advancing the 'plot' of getting Hachikuji home. It was there to advance the relationship between the two.

Araragi and Shinobu talking in the bathtub have very little to do with advancing the 'plot' of helping Karen. It was there to advance the relationship between the two.

Araragi and Karen talking before the toothbrush scene, and the whole game had very little to do with Karen meeting Suruga. It was there to advance the relationship between the two. (In a somewhat disturbing direction)

Over and over you see Araragi and someone talking, sometimes under the pretense of advancing the 'plot' many times in pointless conversation. It's not about using conversation to Help X, Solve Y or Find Z, the conversations are used to advance the relationships, and if the relationships can be advanced without moving the 'plot' Nisio Isin gleefully lets the 'plot' rot while he lets the characters go on with their banter.

That is what i meant by "The plot is the characters talking."
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote