View Single Post
Old 2009-07-21, 10:53   Link #2250
Once and Current Subber

Why, surely you've read my latest monograph, "Suspension of Disbelief: Mammary Disposition During Transformation Sequences", in the latest issue of The Science of Lechery?

Which brings up an interesting point. (More than one, really, but seriously for a second.) One thing we don't see a whole lot of in Nanoha is evidence of an advanced society. I don't mean the big things like spaceships and endless free power and magical technological staves, I mean the little stuff. Think about the things you see when the crew wander around Mid - there's not a whole lot there that isn't "21st century Earth except a little nicer". One exception is out of MGLN Vivid - the use of minor Devices to replace cell phones is an obvious application (goodness knows I would be happy if my Blackberry were intelligent). But where's the rest of it? I don't necessarily expect flying cars, but they ought to be driving themselves, right?

An example of this from Xenosaga... anyone remember Shion's glasses? How they're just the band on her nose, and she touches them and they "project" the lenses? That's the sort of thing I'm talking about. Little things that imply that a lot of advancement has been going on...